Tony Kornheiser, Kevin Sheehan, Jeanne McManus and Gary Braun discuss the impending blizzard about to strike Mays Landing, NJ.
UPDATE 4/15/10: This has now been renamed “Hoya Street.” Clever.
Or maybe “Redacted Old Georgetown Rd”
If you ever want to have a conversation with my daughter, it would be helpful to know the following words:
ORIGIN sounds like applesauce
- choo choo
ORIGIN from the sound that trains make
- hot dog
ORIGIN from the “Hot Dog Dance” at the end of every “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” episode.
food she likes.
ORIGIN I think she got this one from the Internet
sweater or sweatshirt.
ORIGIN I have no idea
Update: oh, I was pretty close on the “official Apple case that could be used as a stand” thing too, wasn’t I?
Well, let’s see how I did with my predictions:
- Well, I couldn’t have been further off on the name. Apple seems stuck on the “i” prefix, though they avoided iSlate in favor of “iPad”. Honestly, iSlate would’ve been better.
- Hardware keyboard = yes, Bluetooth keyboard = no. There’s an available hardware keyboard dock which I’m not thrilled about. But there IS (thanks to @macosken for pointing this out to me) Bluetooth on the device, so 3rd part Bluetooth keyboards are not outside the realm of possibility. Of course, no Bluetooth keyboard yet exists for the iPhone or iPod Touch, due to Apple’s limitations.
- No OLED option, I think because the size of the device vs. the cost of OLED screens. But there are several options as far as memory size, plus 3G access is a separate charge, meaning you don’t HAVE to get 3G capability if you don’t want it.
- No camera. WTF?
- But YES on the microphone. DING DING DING! I got that one right. Of course, I had assumed video recording capability which would require a microphone. So the fact that there is a microphone without a camera leaves me slightly baffled.
- It’s 0.02 inches THICKER than an iPhone 3G(s), so I was wrong there. But they’re comparable.
- Even though it’s not OLED, it’s still (technically) HD, boasting up to 720p.
So overall, I don’t think I was any better or worse than anyone else as far as predictions go. The price point I was sorta right on, saying that the low model would go for $499, but I figured that would be for a 32GB model. Instead, that’s what Apple’s charging for their 16GB model. I think most people were calling it a lot higher than that. But yes, I did say the 64GB model would go for $699 which is what it is (minus 3G), but to be fair I had thought that the 64GB model would be OLED (which it’s not).
Overall, I’m giving myself a C. Your thoughts?
- Forget the iSlate. It’ll be called the “MacBook Touch” or thereabouts.
- It’ll have a multi-touch screen (like the iPhone), but also will let you use an optional bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse. An officially sanctioned Apple case will include a kickstand for using on a table top.
- There will be both a regular LED and an OLED option. The OLED version will be significantly more $$, but in addition to that you’ll get more flash memory. For example, $499 for LED/32GB, $699 for OLED/64GB.
- Front-facing iSight camera. NO rear-facing camera.
- Microphone (duh).
- Integrated battery (i.e., non-removable) with at least 4 hours of active life (slightly longer with the OLED version).
- This thing will be THIN, slightly thinner than the iPhone 3Gs.
- The OLED version will be HD quality.
Okay, this is all guesswork, and certainly not breaking any new ground. But I’m just going against the rails on some of the predictions I’ve seen out there (removable battery, “Minority Report” style full motion interface). I *definitely* think OLED will play some role in this device, but that technology is still much more expensive than the traditional LED that we’re all more familiar with. Given Apple’s history, they tend to lump in other goodies with their more expensive upgrades as a way of making it seem like more of a value.
So now Leno is portraying himself as the victim in this whole mess? http://bit.ly/8syf4k Really? I’m sorry, but his whining and complaining has gotten him everything he’s ever wanted. He’s a three-year-old, and NBC are the over-indulgent parents who’ll bend and break to his every whim. Even listening to his “explanation” of everything on his show last night is disgusting, because he makes it like all the decisions were being made between HIM and the network execs, without ANY INPUT FROM CONAN WHATSOVER. WTF???
The only way for NBC to make this right is to cancel Leno’s lame 10 P.M. show, fire him, and keep Conan on “Tonight.” But that’s apparently not going to happen.
I’d boycott NBC for all of this, but I don’t watch any of their shows to begin with.
(On the flip side, I’m not sure 11:35 is big enough for both Conan and Dave, as their styles tend to attract a similar demographic. But with Leno frelling up the ratings leading into it, it’s impossible to know for sure.)
I just wish I could stay up late enough to watch any of these shows without being completely dead the next day.
Sasha donned the Santa hat and started doing laps around our kitchen island. Only she knows why. But it was darned cute.